Jobs at MGGG
The Metric Geometry and Gerrymandering Group (MGGG) is a research organization based at Tufts and MIT studying applications of geometry and computing to U.S. redistricting. Our mission is both technical and civic, and we aim to drive cutting-edge research, amplify the voices of the public and the civil rights community, and improve accountability in the redistricting process.
As of February 2021, we are currently looking for a Software Developer. Letters of interest are being accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a CV with links to relevant projects, with your GitHub username if applicable.
Access to voting rights for communities of color and other marginalized groups is central to our mission, and we strive to build a team that is diverse in as many ways as possible.
The MGGG Redistricting Lab is doing very exciting work across the country supporting governments, commissions, and community groups in collecting public mapping input for their 2021 redistricting. The Lab seeks a full-time Software Developer to help us build the software and the technical infrastructure needed to help make community voices heard in the process. Willingness to work in a large and vibrant team environment and to learn new skills across problem domains is a must.
Main duties will include:
- Contributing to the development of Districtr, our open-source web app for drawing districts and identifying communities ;
- Extending our public mapping modules and event pages for new localities and user groups ;
- Building and maintaining open-source tools for redistricting research (such as GerryChain), including geospatial data processing and auditing packages (such as maup) ;
- Solving data science problems that come up in our consulting and research projects, with a focus on creating dependable, systematic approaches that can be reused in the future.
- Fluency with Python ;
- Experience delivering tested, high-quality code ;
- Experience with GitHub (or equivalent) and continuous integration practices.
Desired Qualifications - a non-exhaustive list of possible assets for the position
- Demonstrated interest in social and racial justice ;
- Experience writing unit tests with pytest ;
- Experience handling geospatial data using geopandas/shapely and pandas ;
- Back-end development in Flask or another Python framework ;
- Database experience ;
- UI/UX background.