Postdoc at the Metric Geometry and Gerrymandering Group
Email: Thomas "dot" Weighill "at" tufts "dot" edu
In January 2021 I will be joining the University of North Carolina at Greensboro as an Assistant Professor.
My research is in geometry and topology and their applications to data science. My pure mathematics research is mostly in the field of coarse geometry – the study of large scale properties of metric spaces – which has strong mathematical connections to geometric group theory, functional analysis and the topology of manifolds. My more applied research focuses on topological data analysis (TDA), optimal transport and mathematical approaches to data science in general. I am particularly interested in applications to geospatial data analysis, redistricting and election reform.
At Tufts University I taught Point-Set Topology in Spring 2020 and am currently teaching a course on Topological Data Analysis. At the University of Tennessee I was a GTA for College Algebra, Basic Calculus and Matrix Algebra.
- The (homological) persistence of gerrymandering, w/ Moon Duchin and Tom Needham. arXiv link.
- Lifting coarse homotopies, arXiv link.
- Political Geography: A Case Study of Districting in Pennsylvania, w/ Jonathan Rodden. arXiv link.
- Three Applications of Entropy to Gerrymandering, w/ Larry Guth and Ari Nieh. arXiv link.
- T Abrishami, N Guillen, P Rule, Z Schutzman, J Solomon, T Weighill and Si Wu, Geometry of Graph Partitions via Optimal Transport, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 42.5 (2020): A3340-A3366.
- L Higginbotham and T Weighill, Coarse quotients by group actions and the maximal Roe algebra, Journal of Topology and Analysis 11.04, 2019, 875-907.
- J Dydak and T Weighill, Monotone-light factorizations in coarse geometry, Topology Appl. 239, 2018, 160-180.
- J Dydak and T Weighill, Extension theorems for large scale spaces via coarse neighbourhoods, Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics 15, 2018, 59.
- T Weighill, Mal’tsev objects, $R_1$-spaces and ultrametric spaces, Theory and Applications of Categories 32, 1485-1500, 2017.
- T Weighill, On spaces with connected Higson coronas, Topology Appl. 209, 2016, 301-315.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra III. Normal categories and 0-regular varieties, Algebra Universalis 77, 2017, 1-28.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra II. From Isbell bicategories to Grandis exact categories, J. Homotopy Relat. Struct. 11, 2016, 553-570.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra I. From cover relations to Grandis ex2-categories, Theory and Applications of Categories 29.11, 2014, 315-331.