Postdoctoral fellow at the Metric Geometry and Gerrymandering Group
Email: Thomas "dot" Weighill "at" tufts "dot" edu
In January 2021 I will be joining the University of North Carolina at Greensboro as an Assistant Professor.
My research is in geometry and topology and their applications to data science. My theoretical work in mathematics is mostly in the field of coarse geometry – the study of large scale properties of metric spaces – which has strong mathematical connections to geometric group theory, functional analysis and the topology of manifolds. A major theme in coarse geometry is to discover the shape of discrete spaces. This, along with my multidisciplinary background in mathematics, engineering and data science, led me to become interested in the shape of data, specifically in topological data analysis and computational geometry. I am particularly interested in data science research into redistricting, elections and civil rights.
At the University of Tennessee I was a GTA for College Algebra, Basic Calculus and Matrix Algebra. At Tufts University I taught Point-Set Topology in Spring 2020 and am currently teaching a course on Topological Data Analysis.
- The (homological) persistence of gerrymandering, w/ Moon Duchin and Tom Needham. arXiv link.
- Lifting coarse homotopies, arXiv link.
- T Abrishami, N Guillen, P Rule, Z Schutzman, J Solomon, T Weighill and Si Wu, Geometry of Graph Partitions via Optimal Transport, to appear in SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing.
- J Rodden and T Weighill, Political Geography: A Case Study of Districting in Pennsylvania, Political Geometry, to appear in 2020.
- L Guth, A Nieh and T Weighill, Three Applications of Entropy to Gerrymandering, Political Geometry, to appear in 2020.
- L Higginbotham and T Weighill, Coarse quotients by group actions and the maximal Roe algebra, Journal of Topology and Analysis 11.04, 2019, 875-907.
- J Dydak and T Weighill, Monotone-light factorizations in coarse geometry, Topology Appl. 239, 2018, 160-180.
- J Dydak and T Weighill, Extension theorems for large scale spaces via coarse neighbourhoods, Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics 15, 2018, 59.
- T Weighill, Mal’tsev objects, $R_1$-spaces and ultrametric spaces, Theory and Applications of Categories 32, 1485-1500, 2017.
- T Weighill, On spaces with connected Higson coronas, Topology Appl. 209, 2016, 301-315.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra III. Normal categories and 0-regular varieties, Algebra Universalis 77, 2017, 1-28.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra II. From Isbell bicategories to Grandis exact categories, J. Homotopy Relat. Struct. 11, 2016, 553-570.
- Z Janelidze and T Weighill, Duality in non-abelian algebra I. From cover relations to Grandis ex2-categories, Theory and Applications of Categories 29.11, 2014, 315-331.